baslinux - Re: [BL] Need help with BL as x-terminal via dialup Re: free shell account with mutt and text browsers

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Need help with BL as x-terminal via dialup Re: free shell account with mutt and text browsers
  • Date: Sun, 9 May 2010 15:29:29 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 9 May 2010, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

I found a copy of links2 and dillo that run on sdf;
however, both render text very, very slowly.

I found dillo 2.2 for amd64 netBSD 4.0 and am not having trouble with the text at all, but the download speeds of images are, if possible, slower than via direct dialup, and it keeps crashing with a Memory fault (possibly because I don't have a swap file or space to make one). How do I make a swap partition? I can delete Win98 CAB files and shrink
Windows with PQMagic. Can I make a swap file in a DOS partition? If so, how?

I tried a few times to compile fltk and then dillo 2 for BL but failed.
Have you tried?

Would they work better via broadband?

Maybe. But even if the rendering were ten times
faster, it still would be too slow.

Console text displays instantly (except when my
dialup connection cuts out).

Yes, console text display is a hundred times faster
than dillo or links -g. However, when you run links
(non-graphical) in an xterm, it displays as fast
(or faster) than the console.

The fonts are on the local computer in that case, right?
Just need to download ASCII code instead of bitmaps.
Maybe it helps that I am closer geographically to sdf.