baslinux - Re: [BL] Need help with BL as x-terminal via dialup Re: free shell account with mutt and text browsers

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Need help with BL as x-terminal via dialup Re: free shell account with mutt and text browsers
  • Date: Sun, 09 May 2010 17:57:58 +1200

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

> > I found a copy of links2 and dillo that run on sdf;
> > however, both render text very, very slowly.
>
> How did you install them at sdf?

I downloaded the packages (.tgz) to my tmp directory.
I used tar -zxvf to unpack them. This created several
subdirectories in my tmp directory. The executables
were in the bin subdirectory. I deleted everything
else. ldd showed that all dependencies were covered
so I executed the executables. They worked fine,
except for the very slow rendering of text.

> Would they work better via broadband?

Maybe. But even if the rendering were ten times
faster, it still would be too slow.

> Console text displays instantly (except when my
> dialup connection cuts out).

Yes, console text display is a hundred times faster
than dillo or links -g. However, when you run links
(non-graphical) in an xterm, it displays as fast
(or faster) than the console.