baslinux - Re: [BL] Need help with BL as x-terminal via dialup Re: free shell account with mutt and text browsers

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Need help with BL as x-terminal via dialup Re: free shell account with mutt and text browsers
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 23:57:42 +0000 (UTC)

Xvesa works much better as a remote X server than xfbdev, which crashes.

I first tested using two terminals on one off-line computer with Xvesa.

vt1
Xvesa -screen 800x600x16 -ac

Produces a grey screen with an X (acts as mouse cursor)
This is now vt5.

ifconfig shows me that my local IP number is 127.0.0.1

Alt-F2

vt2
export DISPLAY-127.0.0.1:0
rxvt & -- rxvt appears on vt5 (Failed to open input method)
icewm & -- icewm appears on vt5

I then exited X and dialed and used dbclient to connect to shell.cjb.net (
which is the host name that xhost would use).

vt1
Xvesa -screen 800x600x16 -ac (or startxt in BL3)
Grey screen with X cursor appears (vt5)

At my shell account at cjb
export DISPLAY=4.229.21.100:0
(it complains if I pick other numbers which don't exist)

Install useful packages

installhome rxvt
installhome twm
installhome jwm
installhome icewm

rxvt & - no error messages, but no rxvt appeared on my local screen

jwm &

Xlib: extension: "Generic Event Extension" missing on display 4.229.....
(about 1000 hits on this message, which means that Xlib has XGE support but the server libX11 does not. Using a newer libX11 might fix it)
Also missing /users/home/keesan/.jwmrc

twm &
X turns into an arrow cursor (sometimes)
rxvt: can't open slave tty /dev/pts/45
Xlib: extension is missing

icewm &
using /home/users/keesan/.icewm (it does not exist)
Xlib: extension is missing
missing sans-serif font and its fallback Xft font

Do I need to install fonts at cjb or on my local computer?
Or set .icewm to look for existing fonts (which computer).

I also got nowhere with xhost but that might also be the fault of xfbdev.
xhost +shell.cjb.net

My laptop with Savage MX video only works with xfbdev ;=(

Steven, can you use BL as an X-terminal with this FreeBSD shell account?