baslinux - Re: [BL] GTK and locale problem (related to Seamonkey)

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] GTK and locale problem (related to Seamonkey)
  • Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 15:49:42 +0000 (UTC)

No, I am reasonably happy with Firefox 1.5.
If there were a browser-only Seamonkey package,
I might try that. But I am not interested in
the bells-and-whistles Seamonkey.

Please try it with glibc 2.3.6 in BL2.

The 'full' package by default loads only the browser. You can set
preferences to also load other things.

Seamonkey 1.1.15 Edit, Preferences, Appearance
Click on Appearance "When Navigator starts up, Open"
Navigator (the rest are not selected and do not load at startup)

Seamonkey 1.0 = Firefox 1
Seamonkey 1.1 = Firefox 2
Seamonkey 2.0 = Firefox 3

So Seamonkey 1.1.15 Suite is based on later Mozilla code. It is a 40% larger download and unpacks to 15MB more (because of the extra programs) but just the browser part is loaded on startup, by default. Someone might actually want the IRC or mail.

Memory usage (at a particular site)

Firefox - 4.5% x 768MB = 35MB
Opera 9.63 - 3.7% 28MB (what I measured on a laptop with 32MB)
Seamonkey - 3.1% 24MB
Opera 8.54 used even less memory (18MB?).

I did memory tests again with blank home page. Opera's blank is actually speed dial. I don't know why a blank pages uses more ram than llbean.

Opera 9.63 3.5%
Seamonkey 1.1 4.3%
Firefox 1.5 4.4%

Having read about memory leaks in Seamonkey and Firefox which cause them to use up to 800MB, I then accessed a bunch of sites (load all images).

Seamonkey reached 4.4%
Firefox steady at 4.4%
Opera 3.5, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, 4.5, 4.6, 4.7...5.0
(This is with all tabs closed).

Opera is set to use Automatic memory cache but can be reduced to 4MB.
Doing this reduced memory usage to 4.3% (similar to the others) or 33MB.
The other browsers don't seem to have a way to adjust memory cache (just disk cache, 50MB by default).

So recent Opera appears to use memory more rationally than older Seamonkey and Firefox, and when tweaked, they all use similar amounts of memory.

Seamonkey 1.1 has features not found in Firefox 1.5 (which is older)
and requires fewer dependencies. I would appreciate help getting it to work in BL.

I will see if Seamonkey 2.0 works in Slackware 11. (Firefox 3 will not load from its unpacked directory).