baslinux - Re: [BL] GTK and locale problem (related to Seamonkey)

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] GTK and locale problem (related to Seamonkey)
  • Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 03:38:57 +0000 (UTC)

Steven, have you attempted or do you plan to
get Seamonkey working in BL2?

No, I am reasonably happy with Firefox 1.5.
If there were a browser-only Seamonkey package,
I might try that. But I am not interested in
the bells-and-whistles Seamonkey.

The 'full' package by default loads only the browser. You can set preferences to also load other things.

Exactly what libraries did you need to add to BL2 for Firefox 1.5 and from what version(s) of Slackware?

I just loaded www.landsend.com with
Firefox 1.5.0.12, Opera 9.63 and Seamonkey 1.1.15
accepting all images. They all took about 40 second.

Memory usage as a percentage of my 1GB (of which the kernel only sees 768K) to keep this one page in memory. (I think tabbed browsing would make the number go up with multiple pages displayed). Seamonkey I think does load all five programs - navigator, mail/news, address book, composer, IRC. (It may be the older official version 1.0.5 which I think was mislabelled 1.1.15 that installs itself to /usr/bin, which lets you load just the parts you want, and sets that feature during installation, but I deleted that version because it was said to be less secure).

Firefox - 4.5% x 768MB = 35MB
Opera 9.63 - 3.7% 28MB (what I measured on a laptop with 32MB)
Seamonkey - 3.1% 24MB
Opera 8.54 used even less memory (18MB?).

Opera seems to load slightly faster.

Seamonkey is a separate branch of Mozilla that is lighter on resources. I think it also loaded faster that Firefox. The pages look very similar, but it needs far fewer dependencies.

The main advantages are speed of loading, lower memory usage, and fewer dependencies.

http://ilias.ca/SeamonkeyvsFirefox Seamonkey 1.1 vs Firefox 2
(which suggests Seamonkey 1.1.15 is newer than Firefox 1.5).
Seamonkey is said to have more keyboard shortcuts. Seamonkey but not Firefox has under tools a way to manage cookies, popups, images and forms.

Can I upgrade libX11 by just changing the
libraries in /usr/X11/lib to those from
Slackware 9.1 to match the SW91 glibc 2.3.2

I suppose that would work, but I'm not sure
it is necessary.

So what is keeping Seamonkey from getting past the locale error?
The only suggestion that made sense was a glibc/libX11 incompatibility. Seamonkey precompiled needs glibc 2.3.2 (Slackware 9.1).

in case this is some i18n (UTF?) incompatibility
problem and glibc has to match libX?

I'm not sure that is your problem.

Please help to figure it out. Seamonkey might work on our laptops with 32MB memory and swap file (no images loaded). Maybe version 1.0.5 would use even less memory (Navigator only). But they warn about security.

You can download this choose-what-to-install version of what they claim is 1.1.15 (but Help says is 1.1.05) from the Download and Releases page. I know it needed pango and cairo but I think it is GTK1.
1.1.15 Official Build Linux Full Installer 14MB.
Or tar.gz 15MB. Maybe that would unpack and run from a single directory?.
I should have kept a copy of the installer for reference but was getting confused by it. It has lots more dependencies not found in BL2 (similar to Firefox 3). Maybe it will work in BL2 for you now that you have Firefox 1.5 libraries. I don't know if it needs glibc 2.3.6.

The unofficial download of the full 1.1.15 was about 12MB.

Slackware 11 does work but it requires glibc 2.3.6,

glibc 2.3.6 provides a good foundation. It is
the library that I am currently using on my BL2
installation (along with a 2.4 kernel).

Please could you let me know if Seamonkey works with glibc 2.3.6 (and the two extra libraries from any Slackware - libgcc_s and libstdc++.so.5) before I do an upgrade? If that fixes the problem I will be happy to download it and upgrade.

I don't want the entire enormous Xfree 4.3.0 package

AFAIK it doesn't matter what library you are
using for your Xserver -- it doesn't need to
match the library of your X applications.
For example, it should be possible to run X
applications compiled for glibc2 on an Xserver
compiled for libc5 (that assumes, of course,
that both glibc2 and libc5 are present).

Any other ideas?

I suspect the problem you are having with Seamonkey
is caused by cherry-picking libraries from different
versions of Slackware. IIRC one of the libraries
you needed for Seamonkey you took from Slackware 11.

No, they are from SW71 (X libraries), SW81 (libgcc_s), SW90 (libstdc++.so.5) and SW91 (glibc 2.3.2). Nothing from SW11, but I am using Seamonkey and Firefox in SW11 because they won't load in BL2 for me. Seamonkey has all the dependencies. I hoped changing to SW9.1 libX might help make things work. They do not need later than glibc 2.3.6. I get no complaints about dependencies, just libX locale, which web research suggests really is a problem with X libraries and locale. Please see my relevant posting. Other people got this same error and refusal to run X programs when they upgraded glibc.

I suspect that if you do ldd on that library, it
will be dependent on glibc 2.3.6. IIRC you were
still using an earlier glibc. If that was case,
the library you took from Slackware 11 might have
malfunctioned (because it expected glibc 2.3.6).

I did not take any libraries from Slackware 11.

Please could you see if Seamonkey 1.1.15 unofficial build works with your
BL2 with glibc 2.3.6 before I upgrade to it? Which X libraries do you have - Slackware 7.1 or something later? libstdc++.so.5 from where?

The neighbor with broadband (via wireless from across the street) will download Slackware 11 to CD for me. (I have it preinstalled on a hard drive from someone now).