baslinux - Re: [BL] Firefox

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Firefox
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 19:50:21 +0000 (UTC)

Sindi wrote:

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

Mozilla says linux Firefox 2 needs gtk+2 and
libstdc++ 5

That's for the official precompiled binary. There
are non-official binaries with different dependencies.

DSL 4.3 (kernel 2.4.31) has a Firefox/Bon Echo 2 which uses versions 1.2 of libdtk libgdk libgmodule libglib and version 5 of libstdc++.so.5. DSL needs at least 32MB RAM but probably more to load Firefox (which took so long to load I thought it was not there, even on my fastest computer with 1GB RAM). Simpler to use DSL if you need Firefox than change all the BL libraries. But DSL CD won't work with lucent internal modem, only hardware modems.

Slackware 11 with default fwm loaded a blank grid instead of the firefox 1.5.0.7 that it came with.

I found a firefox-1.5.tar.gz 8MB at fileshack.com.
Could be a Windows version (no linux in filename)?
If it is a Linux version, most likely gtk2.

It is listed as a linux version.

There is an early gtk1 Firefox available for download
at some sites -- version 1.5.0.1 or 1.5.0.3 or something
like that. Keep in mind that Firefox 1.5 had a long run
-- there were a lot of improvements and bug fixes between
1.5.0.3 and 1.5.0.12. It is definitely worthwhile using
1.5.0.12, rather than an early 1.5 or early 2.0 (which
actually predated 1.5.0.12).

Could you package all the libraries required by Firefox that are not present in BL3 as a complete add-on, that could be used with the base BL3 install-to-hd for people who mainly just wanted a 'modern' browser?
I would add it to a fresh BL3 install in another partition, and keep BL2 for normal use and chroot to use Firefox when Opera failed.