baslinux - [BL] Firefox

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Firefox
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 15:04:24 +1300

It is possible to run Firefox on an old PC.
It is not quite as fast as Opera, but it runs
well on my 350MHz PII with 128mb RAM.

Avoid Firefox 2 -- it is significantly slower
than Firefox 1. Avoid GTK2. It is significantly
slower than GTK1. The best Firefox for an old PC
is the final 1.5 release (which backported some
bug fixes and security fixes from Firefox 2).
I recommend a GTK1 version of Firefox 1.5.0.12.

That limits our options considerably. The official
precompile binaries for Firefox switched to GTK2
quite early in version 1. Almost all of the Firefox
binaries available for download will be GTK2. If it
doesn't say GTK1 then it's almost certain to be GTK2.

The file you want is:
firefox-1.5.0.12.en-US.linux-i686-gtk1.tar.gz
Put that in google and you get nothing. Put that
in an FTP search engine and it will find nothing.
I hunted and hunted for several days and eventually
found a place to download that file. In Japan!
------------------------------------
http://myh.no-ip.org/~m-ito/firefox/
------------------------------------
And yes, althought the site is in Japanese, the
file is in English.

To the best of my knowledge that file is the only
downloadable GTK1 copy of Firefox 1.5.0.12 anywhere
in the world. If you think you may ever want to run
Firefox on an old PC, I suggest you grab that file
while you can.

Currently running: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686;
en-US; rv:1.8.0.12) Gecko/20070604 Firefox/1.5.0.12
with the mplayer plugin (which works with our mplayer).