baslinux - Re: [BL] Foxit .PDF viewer

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Foxit .PDF viewer
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 07:17:13 +1300

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

> > The tricky one is libstdc++.so.6.
>
> I have in BL2 (from SW7.1 and 8.1?)
> libstdc++-2-libc6.1-1-2.9.0.so = so.2
> libstdc++-3-libc6.2-2-2.10.0.so = so.3
> Might one of these work instead of so.6 or is it missing features?

I've already tried symlinking libstcd++.so.6
to an earlier version. It didn't work.

> Can the so.6 library be compiled against
> glibc 2.2.5 from Slackware 8.1, which works
> with kernel 2.2?

I think it is a gcc issue. It appears the binary
was compiled with a recent gcc and it expects a
recent libgcc and libstdc. The best way around
this, I think, is to compile Firefox from source
using an older gcc. Then, hopefully, it could be
run on glibc 2.1 (BL2) or glibc 2.2 (Slackware 8.1).

> Or should we all give up and switch to later glibc
> and gcc etc?

The stock BL2 comes with glibc 2.1. Most of us
have already upgraded the libraries to at least
glibc 2.2 (Slackware 8.1). It's not a big step
to go all the way to Slackware 11 libraries
(although for that you need a 2.4 kernel, which
apparently some BL2 users already have).

I'm saying Slackware 11 (not Slackware 12) because
it appears that Slackware 11 was the last Slackware
optimized for a 2.4 kernel. Later Slackwares were
compiled for 2.6 kernels.

> Will there be a kernel 2.4 BL4?

A BL4 with a small 2.4 kernel, glibc 2.3.6 and
Xvesa? A BL4 that runs Slackware 11 packages?
Sounds like a pretty good platform, doesn't it.

> Cardbus support would also be welcome, as
> 233MHz and later laptops support it.

BL3 is for laptops. BL4 would be a replacement
for BL2, so PCMCIA would not be supplied (although
you could certainly install PCMCIA from Slackware 11).

There's no cardbus in BL3 because none of my five
laptops has cardbus. My fastest laptop is 133MHz.