baslinux - Re: [BL] Firefox

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Firefox
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 16:16:40 +1300

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

> http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/firefox-1.5.0.12.en-US.linux-i686-gtk1.tar.gz
> http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/gecko-sdk-1.5.0.12-gtk1.tar.gz
> (do you need gecko too?).

No, the firefox file is what you want. I think
the gecko file is some sort of development tool.
Or perhaps it is needed to convert the Firefox
file to Japanese?

> I see Firefox 2.00 for ARM with gkt1 - can an i686
> minimal gtk1 version be compiled

Firefox 2 also has a gtk1 configuration option in
the sourcecode, but the official precompiled binaries
for Linux are all gtk2. I did find a site that has
precompiled Linux gtk1 binaries for Firefox 2, but
Firefox 2 is much slower than Firefox 1.

Firefox 3 is significantly faster than Firefox 2,
but the gtk1 option is no longer available in the
Firefox 3 sourecode.

So, IMHO, the best Firefox for old PCs is 1.5.0.12.

> can an i686 minimal gtk1 version be compiled (maybe
> with the less common libraries static

I actually downloaded the Firefox sourcecode and tried
to compile a minimalistic version of firefox, but it
gave me all sorts of trouble. I concluded that the
only way it would work is with a newer compiler and
a newer glibc. And I simply haven't got the room.
Once I unpacked the Firefox sourcecode (which is huge)
I only had 100mb left on my HD. Adding a bulky new
glibc development package would have probably tipped
me over the edge. I simply don't have the space (or
the grunt) to compile fancy applications like Firefox.