baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 auto startx and shutdown

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 auto startx and shutdown
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 13:40:22 +0000 (UTC)

And added a final item called "Exit Basic Linux" which is presently
"halt"
but I think "shutdown -h now" would be the right thing.

What does halt do? (I don't want to check it right now and the --help
result is most unhelpful).

That´s the point: halt simply halts the system and shows the message "System
halted". I´m powering down from this point and it has been no harmful untill
now. But "shutdown" is certainly the right way of leaving a Linux session.

In BL2 halt (which is non-busybox) seems to do the same as shutdown - it umounts things and flushes the cache. I could try copying it to BL3.

I copied shutdown from BL2 and the above tells me something like.
'You can't do that. Go away'.
How can I change this to actually shut down?

I will try halt instead, perhaps copied from BL2, maybe a script something like:
umount -a
swapoff -a (swapoff /dev/hda3?)
halt -d 1 (since shutdown won't work)

For some unknown reason, it´s very difficult to listen to Brazilian radios
without a "modern" OS and all those Codecs and that "MS-compatible" stuff.
Mplayer has all those codecs and plays realaudio and wmplayer files.
But a lot of sites seem to insist on javascript.

Do you read Portugues with links and use the Portuguese menu? Have you
loaded a Portuguese console font?

I haven´t loaded any Portuguese fonts, but Links2ssl gives me european
Portuguese, so I can have the Links menus and read the webpages fairly.
There are very small differences between European and "BR" Portuguese. For
exemple, a "file" is called "ficheiro" in european Portuguese and "arquivo"
in Pt-BR.
A bit strange, but everything goes fair after a first moment...

You could translate the menu to Brazilian Portuguese and provide it to links2 authors.

And I created a few aliases to mount/read/umount floppy and CDrom.
The user probably won't do any mounting. Just read news and write email
and play solitaire.

I agree.
For a question of culture, Brazilians prefer a GUI, however the most of us
never do any mounting or extended settings.

Lazy Americans also prefer GUIs.

I liked the game Lincity. I have games in the menu, but I don´t use playing.
I don't even know how to play freecell.

Cheers,
Teixeira