baslinux - Re: [BL] Foxit .PDF viewer

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Foxit .PDF viewer
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 20:08:49 +0000 (UTC)

Sindi wrote:

Steven wrote:
I've already tried symlinking libstcd++.so.6
to an earlier version. It didn't work.
I tried that once too.

Can the so.6 library be compiled against
glibc 2.2.5 from Slackware 8.1, which works
with kernel 2.2?

I think it is a gcc issue. It appears the binary
was compiled with a recent gcc and it expects a
recent libgcc and libstdc. The best way around
this, I think, is to compile Firefox from source
using an older gcc. Then, hopefully, it could be
run on glibc 2.1 (BL2) or glibc 2.2 (Slackware 8.1).

If you succeed you should get several prizes, and you might then have the pieces needed to compile javascript-elinks, which also needs kernel 2.4.

Or should we all give up and switch to later glibc
and gcc etc?

The stock BL2 comes with glibc 2.1. Most of us
have already upgraded the libraries to at least
glibc 2.2 (Slackware 8.1). It's not a big step
to go all the way to Slackware 11 libraries
(although for that you need a 2.4 kernel, which
apparently some BL2 users already have).

I posted dozens of them. Needed for USB storage support, svgalib module to eliminate security problem, and other things. (One cardbus driver requires 2.6 kernel, another would not compile properly with gcc 2.95.3).

I'm saying Slackware 11 (not Slackware 12) because
it appears that Slackware 11 was the last Slackware
optimized for a 2.4 kernel. Later Slackwares were
compiled for 2.6 kernels.

Slackware 11 requires 2.4 and 12 requires 2.6?

Will there be a kernel 2.4 BL4?

A BL4 with a small 2.4 kernel, glibc 2.3.6 and
Xvesa? A BL4 that runs Slackware 11 packages?
Sounds like a pretty good platform, doesn't it.

Sound excellent. Will it fit into 2 or even 3 floppy disks?

Could you include lucent modem support as an add-on? Hardware modems self-disconnect on our noisy phoneline.

Cardbus support would also be welcome, as
233MHz and later laptops support it.

BL3 is for laptops. BL4 would be a replacement
for BL2, so PCMCIA would not be supplied (although
you could certainly install PCMCIA from Slackware 11).

What version kernel? I compiled for 2.4.31 - kernel and modules includnig pcmcia modules. (I could just replace yours with mine, or recompile).

There's no cardbus in BL3 because none of my five
laptops has cardbus. My fastest laptop is 133MHz.

We were given, unsolicited (by people we fixed things for), two 233 and one 266MHz with dead hard drives, and 300MHz with broken LCD screen. Do you have a local freecycle or Craigslist?