baslinux - Re: [BL] Firefox

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Firefox
  • Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2009 09:21:45 +1300

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

> >> How does one stop images from downloading or at least
> >> displaying with Firefox 1.5?
> >
> > Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Content
>
> (No Advanced).

Click on Edit. You should get a dropdown menu.
Click on Preferences. You should get a new page.
Across the top of the new page is: GENERAL
PRIVACY CONTENT TABS DOWNLOADS ADVANCED
Click on CONTENT.

> I see no way to toggle images off and on,

That option is on the CONTENT page.

> or to load just one image in the main page.

You also have the option of displaying only
images only from the main page.

> How much more memory does Firefox 3 require
> than 1.5?

For starters, Firefox 3 requires GTK2.
GTK1 has a significantly smaller footprint.

> I read that 2 takes 50-100% more than 3.

Yes, Firefox 2 is bigger and slower than Firefox 1.5.
>From what I've heard, Firefox 3 is much faster than
Firefox 2, but unfortunately Firefox 3 does not have
the GTK1 option.

> Would it work with Slackware 11 libraries and
> enough cpu and RAM?

Do you mean the official Firefox 3 binary for Linux?
According to mozilla.com, you need:
--------------------------------
* 256 MB of RAM
* 100 MB of free disk space