baslinux - Re: [BL] Foxit .PDF viewer

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Foxit .PDF viewer
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 13:55:11 +0000 (UTC)

Sindi Keesan wrote:

I notice that Foxit, www.foxitsoftware.com now do a .PDF viewer for "Desktop
Linux"
and its free. Ive been using their Windows viewer in preference to Adobes one
for
some time now and its much faster. The graphics are not so well defined but
the extra
speed is very welcome. I believe theres an addon to improve the graphics,
probably not
for Linux though.

Has anyone tried this with BL ? Id guess it would need the same sort of
additional libs
as Opera.

Ian.

I just started using it in Windows instead of ghostscript/ghostview, which are enormous (Windows gs comes with Asian fonts and lots of documentation).

It was compiled with gcc 4.3.0 (is this important?). Which glibc does it want? How 'incredibly small' is Foxit? It needs 15MB memory.
It took a while to load in Windows at 1GHz.

I view pdf and ps files with svp, a very small fast gs-based frontend requiring svgalib. 26K for glibc2.2.5. No X required, low RAM.
No features either (choose mono or 8-bit color, resolution).

svp used 3MB to view my largest pdf file.

xpdf 3 about 13MB including X. It zooms, etc. Works with glibc 2.2.5 (older versions work with libc5, or you can convert the pdf to a ppm with pdftoppm and view with xli).