baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 auto startx and shutdown

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 auto startx and shutdown
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 09:16:03 -0300

----- Original Message -----
From: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 1:14 AM

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
>
> > "Restart" in the JWM stands for "refresh". It refreshes the JWM menu
> > settings.
> > Very useful when we make new settings.
> Thank you. What settings do you mean?

I mean whenever one changes the setting on the visual menu (on the left of
the screen), not properly inside the root menu..

> > But when JWM itself is modified we have to "exit" and do "startx"
again.
> I have done that a lot recently after editing the menu.
>
> > I created or moved items and sub items like:
> >
> > Internet:
> > Connect (ppp-on)
> > Disconnect (ppp-off)
>
> People might think they are connecting to broadband here.
> Dial/hangup don't have the second meaning.
>

> > Games
> > xFreecell
> > xDigger
> > LinCity
> > Utilities
> > Clock
> > Calculator
> >
> > And added a final item called "Exit Basic Linux" which is presently
"halt"
> > but I think "shutdown -h now" would be the right thing.
>
> What does halt do? (I don't want to check it right now and the --help
> result is most unhelpful).

That´s the point: halt simply halts the system and shows the message "System
halted". I´m powering down from this point and it has been no harmful untill
now. But "shutdown" is certainly the right way of leaving a Linux session.

> I copied shutdown from BL2 and the above tells me something like.
> 'You can't do that. Go away'.
> How can I change this to actually shut down?
>
> I put as the top three things on the menu:
>
> dial
> hangup
> reboot (and turn off computer when you see SONY)

I have never seen this SONY

> With a lilo boot it will otherwise go back into linux.
>
> > And I changed JWM menu colors and placed a picture as a wallpaper.
> > Large images use to slow down the startup proccess, so one has to be
careful
> > and use simpler pictures.
>
> The user only wants to read Russian news in this case, not decorate.
>

> > I also replaced the most of links in hotlinks.html.
> I added lots of Russian news sites, my site (in case she loses my phone
> number), and a guitar midi site. The Russian radio was mostly junk
> American stuff.

For some unknown reason, it´s very difficult to listen to Brazilian radios
without a "modern" OS and all those Codecs and that "MS-compatible" stuff.

> > Now that page links to both Basic Linux sites and a lot of Brazilian
ones. I
> > translated all the titles (captions) to Portuguese. All this stuff is
quite
> > easy to be done.
> Do you read Portugues with links and use the Portuguese menu? Have you
> loaded a Portuguese console font?

I haven´t loaded any Portuguese fonts, but Links2ssl gives me european
Portuguese, so I can have the Links menus and read the webpages fairly.
There are very small differences between European and "BR" Portuguese. For
exemple, a "file" is called "ficheiro" in european Portuguese and "arquivo"
in Pt-BR.
A bit strange, but everything goes fair after a first moment...

> > And I created a few aliases to mount/read/umount floppy and CDrom.
> The user probably won't do any mounting. Just read news and write email
> and play solitaire.

I agree.
For a question of culture, Brazilians prefer a GUI, however the most of us
never do any mounting or extended settings.
I liked the game Lincity. I have games in the menu, but I don´t use playing.