baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 and SCSI

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 and SCSI
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 07:13:40 +1200

Message from Steven
===================
> I tried using the bzimage.big kernel that has
> SCSI support as suggusted, but when I boot from
> DOS, it still says it can't find /baslin/fs.img
> on the SCSI disks, and freezes.

As discussed before, that will not work because
initfs.gz is looking for /baslin/fs.img on an
IDE drive. It does not look on an scsi drive.
For the DOS version to work, you need to use
a modified initfs.gz

> I also get this error in the boot time text:
> SCSI <fdomain> detection failed, no card found.
> So it doesn't detect any SCSI disks.

I don't have any SCSI hardware so I do not know
how bzimage.big works with SCSI. It probably
needs a module (or two) to work.

> So it appears that, even though I'm using a kernel
> with SCSI support in it, it still can't detect my
> SCSI disks.

Sindi, I think, has a SCSI drive. She might be
able to tell us whether bzimage.big works with
SCSI (or whether it requires additional modules).

> Also, I can't access the SCSI disk when I boot
> from the BL floppy version and use the SCSI
> modules (scsi_mod and sd_mod).

The zimage in the floppy version does not have SCSI
support, so those modules probably have no effect.
I suspect that those modules will work if you use
the bzimage.big kernel.

> Any ideas?

I think the first thing you need to do is get a kernel
that finds your SCSI drive. I suggest you download
the SCSI bzimage from Slackware 7.1. You will find
it in the /kernels/scsi.s directory.

If we are lucky, the Slackware SCSI kernel will boot
your modified initfs.gz and start BL3. If not, examine
the screen output carefully. That SCSI kernel is
supposed to look for all sorts of different SCSI
drives. Did it find yours? If so, what does it say
about it?