baslinux - [BL] BL3 and SCSI

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] BL3 and SCSI
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 14:59:49 -0400

Hello, I'm trying to get Linux running on a very old IBM PS/2 model 70/80 PC. I've tried many other distros, but they all failed to run due to issues with SCSI. So I tried BasicLinux on a floppy, it was the first Linux distro to ever successfully run!

However, I was very limited to what I could do since this PC only has 12MB RAM, so I couldn't load a GUI and could only load a few extra programs as addons. So I want to try to get Linux running without floppies, so I downloaded the DOS version and transferred it to the PC via a LapLink cable.

However heres where problems start. When I ran "boot.bat", everything went smoothly... except when it came time to find the filesystem image. I got this error:

/baslin/fs.img not found on mount /dev/hda1

It goes on with mount points 8 times, then freezes. I Googled the error and came upon a post in the mailing list from 2004 of someone who's getting the same error, and it was due to the fact that the kernel only supports IDE or somethning like that, and recommended to use BL2 instead. However, I tried BL2, and it gave me one of the common errors I got when trying to get Linux running: No math coprocessor found. Giving up.

The PC is so old it doesn't have a math coprocessor!

The post I read this from was from 2004, so I was wondering if the status of this issue has changed since then, or if there's a fix? If not, what else would be able to run?