baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 and SCSI

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 and SCSI
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 21:55:50 +0000 (UTC)

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

The floppy version does not need to access your scsi drive.

So, it's a scsi drive? Does that make his primary
hardrive /dev/sda and his partitions /dev/sda1
/dev/sda2 ...etc... ?

Yes.

If /baslin is on the DOS C: drive, is that /dev/sda1 ?

Assuming C: is the first or only partition, and there is just one drive, yes. (If the first partition is ext2 or linux swap, no. If DR-DOS was used, partition order could be scrambled.)

Install to hard drive

Unfortunately, he can't install to /dev/sda if the
kernel can't see /dev/sda. We first need to get
scsi capability into the kernel. We might be able
to do that with an insmod. Unfortunately, I have
no scsi hardware, so I can't test it myself.

Sindi, can you tell us which modules you insmod
to get scsi capability into a running kernel?
Or is it not possible to do that?

insmod scsi_mod (86K for 2.2.16)
insmod sd_mod (25K for 2.2.16)

I don't think they will fit on the second floppy disk but you can load them from a third floppy disk.

scsi_mod is needed for all scsi devices

sd_mod for scsi hard drives (and also USB storage devices and scsi and even parport zip drives).

sg and sr_mod for cd burners (which in kernel 2.2 and 2.4 imitate scsi)

boot with alternative kernel bzimage.big
(2.2.26) from the BL site, which has built-in
support for scsi hard drives.

Yes, the BL3 big kernel should work and it will
be a simple replacement once BL3 is installed
to HD. However, getting the big kernel into
the floppy version (or the DOS version) is not
so simple.

To boot with this kernel using the DOS loop setup,
you would need to modify a file to point at /dev/sda1
instead of /dev/hda1

The file is linuxrc and it resides inside initfs.gz

It is complicated.

Yes it is. First you gunzip initfs.gz. Then you
mount it (using -o loop parameter). Then edit,
exit and gzip.

Perhaps we should do a modified initfs.gz that
looks for /baslin on /dev/sda1 ? But first we
need to be absolutely sure that the DOS C: drive
will be /dev/sda1

You mean modify the floppy version to handle scsi drives?
In that case also include sda2 3 4 and 5.
Or at least 4, which is a scsi zip drive.