baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 and SCSI

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 and SCSI
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 00:20:10 +0000 (UTC)

Sindi Keesan wrote
I actually tried that, only it was a Slackware 10 kernel. I did some
Googleing and found a Slackware kernel specifically designed for old IBM
PCs that use the MCA bus (it was called ibmmca). When I loaded it in
place of the BL default kernel, it properly detected an SCSI bus, and
(possibly) the hard drives. It did all sorts of checks, and said it
found SCSI devices.

IBM PS/2? Is this a 386?

However, I got a bunch of errors when the kernel tried to load the hard
disk, it couldn't find Linux data on it, then gave me a FAT error (the
drive had FAT16, I believe), then looked for a reiserFS partition, then
loaded initfs.gz, which still could not mount the SCSI drive (I edited
the file in it to point to /dev/sda's instead of /dev/hda's). But that
was the closest I've gotten so far :)

mount -t msdos /dev/sda1 should mount a DOS FAT16 drive.
Maybe that kernel cannot handle FAT16?

Is it possible I need drives for the hard drive? I checked it, it's an
IBM WDS 3100 100mb hard drive, the SCSI pin things are set to an SCSI ID
of 6, and M.

Is your scsi drive plugged into an ISA controller card? I think for those you would need to specify parameters when loading the scsi controller driver. Maybe the scsi ID? I have not used one.