baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 and SCSI

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 and SCSI
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 21:31:25 +0000 (UTC)

Sindi Keesan wrote

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

That's why I suggested the Slackware scsi.s kernel,
which has all possible scsi drivers compiled into
the kernel. The scsi.s kernel should be able to
identify the SCSI drive, mount the root filesystem
and then start BL3.

Will it let you know which scsi controller you have?

You could also use DSL or another live CD

Will a live CD actually work on that old PC?

If it can boot from CD, possibly.
Since it uses modules, it lets you know which one your controller uses.

to see which scsi controller module got loaded,

Or you could use the Slackware scsi.s bootdisk.
That should work on any SCSI system.

But then how do you know what to put into your own kernel, or what module to use?

then compile a kernel with that driver (probably
aic7xxx).

Slackware 7.1 also has individual kernels with
specific scsi drivers (i.e. aic7xxx). They are
much smaller than the scsi.s kernel.

Still much bigger than any kernel you or I have compiled.

If your big kernel does not have a controller
driver, why answer Y instead of M to the other
scsi driver questions?

I dunno, I've got no experience with SCSI stuff.
I selected Y on those SCSI settings because I
copied the Slackware bare.i kernel config.

I suggest changing the Y to M for all scsi stuff.
That worked for me.

It makes the kernel much larger

Ideally, people will (eventually) compile a kernel
that precisely matches their hardware. That will
give them the smallest, most efficient kernel.

Nobody but you, David Moberg and I have compiled BL kernels, that I know of.

and you still cannot use it to boot from scsi
drive.

The bzimage.big was not designed to boot from
a SCSI drive. Putting in all the possible SCSI
drivers would make it *much* bigger, and it would
be more likely to crash on non-SCSI systems.

I am suggesting you either change Y to M for all the scsi stuff, or add aic7xxx.