baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 and SCSI

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 and SCSI
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 07:44:50 +1200

Message from Steven
===================

> I'm trying to get Linux running on a very old
> IBM PS/2 model 70/80 PC.
>
> this PC only has 12MB RAM,

12mb is OK. You should be able to do lots of stuff
with 12mb RAM (plus 24mb swap).

> so I couldn't load a GUI

BL3 has a built-in GUI. Did you try executing startx?

> I want to try to get Linux running without floppies,
> so I downloaded the DOS version

Did you consider installing BL3 to HD directly from
the floppy version? That should work better. First
you create a Linux partition and a swap partition
(using fdisk in BL3). Then, you format the swap
partition (mkswap) and put an ext2 filesystem on
the Linux partition (mke2fs). Then you mount the
Linux partition on /hd and execute install-to-hd

> When I ran "boot.bat", everything went smoothly...
> except when it came time to find the filesystem image.
> I got this error:
> /baslin/fs.img not found on mount /dev/hda1

I suggest you boot BL3 (from floppies) and execute:
---------------
dmesg | grep hd
---------------
Please tell us what that says.

If the above shows nothing useful, try:
---------------
dmesg | grep sd
---------------
Does that show your drives?

> The PC is so old it doesn't have a math coprocessor!

No problem, the default BL3 kernel should manage that.

> I was wondering if the status of this issue has changed
> since then, or if there's a fix? If not, what else would
> be able to run?

It is a very good sign that BL3 runs from floppies.
We should be able to figure out a way to get it installed
on your HD. It might take a bit of trial and error, but
we should get there.