baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 and SCSI

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 and SCSI
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 05:42:28 +1200

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

> > That's why I suggested the Slackware scsi.s kernel,
> > which has all possible scsi drivers compiled into
> > the kernel. The scsi.s kernel should be able to
> > identify the SCSI drive, mount the root filesystem
> > and then start BL3.
>
> You could also use DSL or another live CD

Will a live CD actually work on that old PC?

> to see which scsi controller module got loaded,

Or you could use the Slackware scsi.s bootdisk.
That should work on any SCSI system.

> then compile a kernel with that driver (probably
> aic7xxx).

Slackware 7.1 also has individual kernels with
specific scsi drivers (i.e. aic7xxx). They are
much smaller than the scsi.s kernel.

> If your big kernel does not have a controller
> driver, why answer Y instead of M to the other
> scsi driver questions?

I dunno, I've got no experience with SCSI stuff.
I selected Y on those SCSI settings because I
copied the Slackware bare.i kernel config.

> It makes the kernel much larger

Ideally, people will (eventually) compile a kernel
that precisely matches their hardware. That will
give them the smallest, most efficient kernel.

> and you still cannot use it to boot from scsi
> drive.

The bzimage.big was not designed to boot from
a SCSI drive. Putting in all the possible SCSI
drivers would make it *much* bigger, and it would
be more likely to crash on non-SCSI systems.