baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 and SCSI

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 and SCSI
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 09:26:21 +1200

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

> The floppy version does not need to access your scsi drive.

So, it's a scsi drive? Does that make his primary
hardrive /dev/sda and his partitions /dev/sda1
/dev/sda2 ...etc... ?

If /baslin is on the DOS C: drive, is that /dev/sda1 ?

> Install to hard drive

Unfortunately, he can't install to /dev/sda if the
kernel can't see /dev/sda. We first need to get
scsi capability into the kernel. We might be able
to do that with an insmod. Unfortunately, I have
no scsi hardware, so I can't test it myself.

Sindi, can you tell us which modules you insmod
to get scsi capability into a running kernel?
Or is it not possible to do that?

> boot with alternative kernel bzimage.big
> (2.2.26) from the BL site, which has built-in
> support for scsi hard drives.

Yes, the BL3 big kernel should work and it will
be a simple replacement once BL3 is installed
to HD. However, getting the big kernel into
the floppy version (or the DOS version) is not
so simple.

> To boot with this kernel using the DOS loop setup,
> you would need to modify a file to point at /dev/sda1
> instead of /dev/hda1

The file is linuxrc and it resides inside initfs.gz

> It is complicated.

Yes it is. First you gunzip initfs.gz. Then you
mount it (using -o loop parameter). Then edit,
exit and gzip.

Perhaps we should do a modified initfs.gz that
looks for /baslin on /dev/sda1 ? But first we
need to be absolutely sure that the DOS C: drive
will be /dev/sda1