baslinux - Re: [BL] photo manager for BL

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] photo manager for BL
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 18:07:29 +0000 (UTC)

Sindi Keesan

On Fri, 4 Jul 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Hi I am just in th midle of photo sorting and had som of the same
needs I found that gqview mead my needs. you can make it show
thumbnails and crop image to fit the screen. I no image editing I
think but renaming and moveing just fine. /mikkel

Thanks. It was in a review I read, but 'does not edit'. You can bind 8 other programs to it and open photos to edit them.

Cropping should be good enough. Other photo managers use Image Magick executables, and jpegtran, and netpbm to do more editing. My partner can learn to use them separately. He wants to rotate crooked pictures.

I downloaded 1.5MB source code tar.gz for gqview 2.0.4 version at 3K/sec. It also requires gtk 2.4 or later. Slackware 7 has libgtk 1.2 (1.3MB for just the so library) so I need to compile libgtk+ too, source code from http://www.gtk.org (8MB for 2.4.0, the minimum requirement, bz2, 14M for more recent 2.4.14). Maybe the source code is on SW10.1 CD.

There is a Windows version of gqview to try before I download gtk source code. It is available with or without gtk+2 (stable version 2.0.1 or development 2.1.1), only 1.1MB with gtk. I hope it works better than MaPiVi Windows version that was supposed to include perl. One quarter the size of MaPiVi.

This 'complete' version is missing libgdk for Windows. Try again.