baslinux - Re: [BL] photo manager for BL

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] photo manager for BL
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 21:50:27 +0000 (UTC)

Sindi Keesan
Slackware 8.1 has gtk 1.2 only, but it also has gqview 1.0.2 (very old
version PRECOMPILED).

To get the gqview from Slackware 8.1 to work,
copy gqview to /usr/bin and README to /usr/share/gqview

or install the package then delete everything it put into locale doc
(except the README), share (same README).

Extract, copy, and ldconfig four shared libraries from gtkglib from
Slackware 7.1 gdk gtk gmodule and glib. .so (no .a or .la)

install the gdkpixbf packages from Slackware 7.1 and then delete
files that went into /usr/share /usr/doc/ /usr/include (needed only for
compiling), anything /usr/lib/*.a or .la. I think you need one so library
and a config in /usr/bin.

I will try to make a package of required parts from all three of these
packages.

It finally loaded. I have not figured out how to make it work without a
mouse.

If you go into the directory where you photos are loaded, it looks there for photos by default. Everything is working except it segfaults if you make thumbnails in a directory containing pings, with a complaint about being compiled for an older libpng than is in use on the computer.

Should be usable if you don't have png's in your directory.

The precompiled version from Slackware 8.1 is set to use Xpaint, GIMP, XV, and Electric Eyes for editing. It brings up xv with that photo loaded, for instance. No way to change to some other programs or add more as in version 2.0. I have only xv. Perhaps the code can be edited to use netpbm or Image Magick instead of GIMP. I don't know how to crop with xv (clicking on crop does nothing). I might still try compiling after downloading 8MB of gtk+2.

We are having brief power failures after a storm. My 600Mhz computer recovered but the faster one (with XP running) rebooted itself then froze.
I wonder why.