baslinux - Re: [BL] Basiclinux 3.5 and wireless (ma401).

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Basiclinux 3.5 and wireless (ma401).
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 02:08:58 +0000 (UTC)

Can you borrow some other wireless non-cardbus card and see if it works
for you? Can you use this one with BL in another laptop computer? You
can put the drivers on disk2 and insert them from there after editing
config, if you use the 2-floppy version of BL3.50.

:( unforunatly I don't have another one and I don't know anyone who
does. I bought the
netgear one off ebay just recently -- finding a non-cardbus one was quite
hard!

Prism chips apparently use orinoco driver.

While hunting for libretto info, I found a site listing wireless pcmcia cards that did and did not work with DamnSmallLinux, and whether they needed the full install with ndiswrapper. Many cards did NOT work.

What worked includes:

aironet 340 (airo, airo_cs)
aironet 350 (encrypts) " "

orinoco silver (same as your card)
orinoco gold (encrypts)

Linksys WPC11 ver 3 (ver 2.5 might work too, don't know about encryption)
(also orinoco)

I have a DELL Truemobile (also orinoco).

MA401 is said to work with DSL !!!! (they did not say 401RA)

A few others were listed. Some were cardbus and/or required ndiswrapper.

But your hardware may simply not work with these and any software.

You can buy a wireless ethernet bridge (ebay $35-40) which plugs into a
pcmcia network card (if one works in the Libretto 50). You may need a javascript browser to configure the bridge (site survey, set the MAC and SSID) after setting the computer IP number similar to that of the bridge.

Will opera 6 work with BL3 libc5?

Then plug the bridge into your laptop network card and run dhcp, or manually assign an IP number to match the router (not the bridge, this time). iwlist etc won't work, but you can connect to the LAN or internet.