baslinux - Re: [BL] Basiclinux 3.5 and wireless (ma401).

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Basiclinux 3.5 and wireless (ma401).
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 14:00:54 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Ok, I gave DSL a try on the newer laptop (IBM T22). The card was
detected and seemed to work ok; I was able to configure it using sudo,
e.g. sudo ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.45 . I tried also copying the .o
modules for hermes, orinoco and orinoco_cs back from DSL to BL3 - I'm
guessing they are different versions as they appear to be a different

Sometimes modules for the same kernel number won't work unless they were compiled with the same gcc as the kernel. You were lucky.

size. It *almost* worked, but not quite: the modules insmod'd ok, but
with just 1 error:

orinoco_cs: Card services release does not match!

That message is normal for some reason.

I'm not sure which module would be for the card services, however. The
green light seemed to remain on (and no crashes) but I was unable to
configure the card.

I wonder what is different about their modules that they don't crash.

You may have a hardware incompatibility. Someone with a Libretto 100 wrote about their PCI-Cardbus bridge (you probably have PCI-ISA bridge instead), that it has no IRQ line, which causes problems with newer pcmcia versions, and you should use pcmcia 3.1.xx and 2.2 kernel. I compiled version 3.1.22 a few years ago. Unfortunately 2.2 kernel appears not to work at all with orinoco cards (kernel oops).

Can you boot DSL from the CD on your Libretto using loadlin after you copy the kernel from /boot to your baslin directory? If the card still won't work with DSL on your computer, it is a hardware problem, and you might try a bridge instead, or a different card. If it does work, then you can figure out how they did it. Try their kernel instead of mine in BL. Look at how they set up pcmcia, probably more automated.

Libretto floppy drives are said not to work with linux.

Someone in the local freecycle list wants help getting her 120MHz Compaq on the internet via ethernet card. I might try BL3 in a loop file on it.
I can get her a $5 used card.

Sindi

ljones