baslinux - Re: [BL] Basiclinux 3.5 and wireless (ma401).

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Basiclinux 3.5 and wireless (ma401).
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 20:46:07 +0000 (UTC)

Ok thanks for that, I tried the 2.4 kernel there and the modules.
However apon loading BL3 still seems to be looking for modules in the
old directory for the old kernel (2.2.26) even though it is running
with the new!

Type uname -a and it will tell you which kernel you are using.
(Linux Basiclinux 2.4.31 in my case).
Are you booting from DOS with loadlin?

If it is 2.4.31 and you get something about 2.2.26, your new kernel is probably complaining that it is missing some modules for 2.4.31 and only finding them for 2.2.26. (Probably the missing pcmcia modules that were not in my package - see below).

It would be good to have sound & external serial port support as the
toshiba's "mouse" mounted on the right hand side of the screen can be
a pain to use after a while, a normal serial mouse is much easier. The
toshiba's mouse buttons are on the top of the laptop!

I thought you had no serial port except in an extender.

Try my larger smf kernel which does have sound support, with the ymf sound module. If those work, I will modify another smaller kernel for you.

BTW Let me clear one thing up, the laptop that runs SW12 that I own
isn't the toshiba, its a completely different system, an IBM T22
(700Mhz, 128MB ram). That's the one I tested the netgear pcmcia card
out on and it worked with ndiswrapper on it.

So the card works. Good. How large is the hard disk?

BTW where do I get the 2.4 versions of ds.o, i82365.o and
pcmcia_core.o . I couldn't find them in the modules-pcmcia-431.tgz
file. I also looked in modules-pcmcia-wireless-431.tgz but couldn't
find them.

I goofed. Thanks for letting me know.

I just replaced modules-pcmcia-431.tgz with a different modules-pcmcia-min-431.tgz which contains those three modules, and I also deleted some stuff that should not be there. I am still learning.

They were in the 'withcardbus' modules package (which contains all the pcmcia modules including cardbus) but you don't want the cardbus modules because they don't work with BL because yenta_socket refuses to compile and you need that instead of one of the BL modules (ds or i82365, I forget which). Also cardbus cards don't fit into older laptops, even my 133MHz DELL. (They do fit the 200MHz Gateway). I left that package because it also contains other modules that someone might want.
Sindi

ljones