baslinux - Re: [BL] Basiclinux 3.5 and wireless (ma401).

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Basiclinux 3.5 and wireless (ma401).
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 22:50:25 +0000

> I got over 5000 hits on ma401ra with google/linux
>
> Is it possible your card requires prism2 rather than orinoco?
> Several people with your RA model think they need prism2, even though it
> is supposed to be the non-RA model which uses that. The company labelled
> them all without the RA.

I'm not sure -- are the prism2 .o files in the same place as the
orinoco ones for BL?

> Can you borrow some other wireless non-cardbus card and see if it works
> for you? Can you use this one with BL in another laptop computer? You
> can put the drivers on disk2 and insert them from there after editing
> config, if you use the 2-floppy version of BL3.50.

:( unforunatly I don't have another one and I don't know anyone who
does. I bought the
netgear one off ebay just recently -- finding a non-cardbus one was quite
hard!

> Someone else had all sorts of problems in one particular laptop with all
> the wireless pcmcia cards tested. (Compaq Armada M700).
> Maybe your computer is too old to do wireless?
>
> What do you do after you:
> boot
> insert card
> /etc/pcmcia/start
>

> I would then:
> ifconfig up
> udhcpc (if this works you have succeeded)

I get "debug, sending discover...." a few times. Eventually the green
light goes out and the system crashes.

> or:
> ifconfig eth0 192.168.2.5 (if router is in this series).
> and ping the router to see if things work.
>
> You could try to boot a DamnSmallLinux live CD from DOS using loadlin
> after copying the kernel (vmlinuz or whatever they call it, look in /boot
> or search for it) to your baslin directory, and see if DSL can handle your
> card. If it does not have your definition in /etc/pcmcia/config you can
> add it. DSL will run better for you in 32MB without the gui
> boot: dsl 2 (for runlevel 2, no gui)
>
> Reboot to DOS and
>
> cd /baslin
> loadlin vmlinuz root=/dev/hdc1 ro
>
> Sindi

I'll give DSL a try. If that won't boot or work, I guess my only
option left is to take the hard drive out and put SW on it.

ljones