baslinux - Re: [BL] Basiclinux 3.5 and wireless (ma401).

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Basiclinux 3.5 and wireless (ma401).
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 21:53:59 +0000

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 8:46 PM, <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org> wrote:

> > Ok thanks for that, I tried the 2.4 kernel there and the modules.
> > However apon loading BL3 still seems to be looking for modules in the
> > old directory for the old kernel (2.2.26) even though it is running
> > with the new!
>
> Type uname -a and it will tell you which kernel you are using.
> (Linux Basiclinux 2.4.31 in my case).
> Are you booting from DOS with loadlin?

Yep, I'm booting from DOS right now with loadlin bzimagela.431 root=/dev/hda2
rw

> If it is 2.4.31 and you get something about 2.2.26, your new kernel is
> probably complaining that it is missing some modules for 2.4.31 and only
> finding them for 2.2.26. (Probably the missing pcmcia modules that were
> not in my package - see below).
>
> > It would be good to have sound & external serial port support as the
> > toshiba's "mouse" mounted on the right hand side of the screen can be
> > a pain to use after a while, a normal serial mouse is much easier. The
> > toshiba's mouse buttons are on the top of the laptop!
>
> I thought you had no serial port except in an extender.

Sorry, I neglected to mention the Toshiba laptop's second hand. It
came with some sort of "cradle" or "plugin device" which gives me 1
serial port, 1 parallel port and 1 vga port.

> Try my larger smf kernel which does have sound support, with the ymf sound
> module. If those work, I will modify another smaller kernel for you.

Will do

> > BTW Let me clear one thing up, the laptop that runs SW12 that I own
> > isn't the toshiba, its a completely different system, an IBM T22
> > (700Mhz, 128MB ram). That's the one I tested the netgear pcmcia card
> > out on and it worked with ndiswrapper on it.
>
> So the card works. Good. How large is the hard disk?

>From memory the IBM T22's laptop is ~8GB. The Toshiba's hard drive is
around 800MB. Right now
it has an ancient copy of windows 95 on it, which I'm going to wipe
once BL3 is all working ok. I might
possibly dual-boot it with freedos too.

> > BTW where do I get the 2.4 versions of ds.o, i82365.o and
> > pcmcia_core.o . I couldn't find them in the modules-pcmcia-431.tgz
> > file. I also looked in modules-pcmcia-wireless-431.tgz but couldn't
> > find them.
>
> I goofed. Thanks for letting me know.
>
> I just replaced modules-pcmcia-431.tgz with a different
> modules-pcmcia-min-431.tgz which contains those three modules, and I also
> deleted some stuff that should not be there. I am still learning.
>
> They were in the 'withcardbus' modules package (which contains all the
> pcmcia modules including cardbus) but you don't want the cardbus modules
> because they don't work with BL because yenta_socket refuses to compile
> and you need that instead of one of the BL modules (ds or i82365, I forget
> which). Also cardbus cards don't fit into older laptops, even my 133MHz
> DELL. (They do fit the 200MHz Gateway). I left that package because it
> also contains other modules that someone might want.

I'll give that new modules file a try :) .

ljones