baslinux - Re: [BL] Basiclinux 3.5 and wireless (ma401).

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Basiclinux 3.5 and wireless (ma401).
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 19:25:15 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Can you boot DSL from the CD on your Libretto using loadlin after you copy
the kernel from /boot to your baslin directory? If the card still won't
work with DSL on your computer, it is a hardware problem, and you might
try a bridge instead, or a different card. If it does work, then you can
figure out how they did it. Try their kernel instead of mine in BL.

Unfortunatly I don't think it would work. First problem would be finding a
dos pcmcia driver for the cdrom drive, and I can't identify it - it's one
made in the far east with no real brand name on it. Also the liberetto I
have only has 16MB, so memory might be a problem. And since this is a live
CD won't it need to load even more into memory and/or decompress it? Also if
DSL needs to access the cdrom drive that won't be easy, as the toshiba only
has 1 pcmcia card slot.

Maybe you can boot BL3 with the DSL kernel (it may include the CD-ROM modules in it and you would only need the pcmcia modules for the CD-ROM
drive for BL3), mount the CD, then chroot to DSL? It helps that the DSL pcmcia modules work with BL3. (Continue using my 2.4.31 kernel).

mount /dev/hdc /mnt
chroot /mnt /bin/bash -login
mount /proc

This should put you into console mode, to try out the network card.

I did this to run BL3 from a camera memory card (in 8MB space) or a 100MB zip drive (both times using special boot disks contributed by another list member David Moberg).

If DSL works with the network card, and you can't figure out how they did it so as to transfer this to BL, you can try installing it from the iso image to an ext2 partition from within BL.

http://damnsmalllinux.org/wiki/index.php/Loadlin_Install

To copy from an iso image get it onto your computer (parallel transfer cable, parallel zip drive if you have parport, burn a CD, or however you got BL on there in the first place):

mount -o loop dsl*.iso /mnt
ls /mnt
KNOPPIX index.html lost+found
Inside KNOPPIX directory is a 50MB KNOPPIX file which I don't know what to do with. It won't mount -o loop. bogus logical sector size. Could this be ext3? 'you must specify the filesystem type'. My kernel does not support that. (Try theirs?).

Try to follow their directions. It looks complicated but you seem experienced with linux. They talk about a folder 'boot' which I don't see. boot.img must be the boot floppy (no use to you).

You will need a 32MB swap partition or file.

Someone else got Opera running on their Libretto with 16MB, slowly, and links faster. Links2 with svgalib instead of X uses less RAM.

ljones