baslinux - Re: [BL] Basiclinux 3.5 and wireless (ma401).

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Basiclinux 3.5 and wireless (ma401).
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 20:06:17 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

I tried googling about the netgear ma401ra and locking up, and I
turned up one post where someone had tried different IRQs. So I put
this in /etc/pcmcia/config;

exclude irq 1
exclude irq 2
exclude irq 3
exclude irq 4
exclude irq 5
exclude irq 6
exclude irq 8
exclude irq 9
exclude irq 10
exclude irq 11
exclude irq 12
exclude irq 13
exclude irq 14
exclude irq 15

I made sure in the BIOS that the parallel port is on IRQ 5 and the
soundcard on IRQ 9 in an attempt to force PCMCIA to be on IRQ 7. But
it didn't make any difference. It's detected but if I try to configure
it, it seems to either just lock up or crash.

ljones

I got over 5000 hits on ma401ra with google/linux

Is it possible your card requires prism2 rather than orinoco?
Several people with your RA model think they need prism2, even though it is supposed to be the non-RA model which uses that. The company labelled them all without the RA.

Can you borrow some other wireless non-cardbus card and see if it works for you? Can you use this one with BL in another laptop computer? You can put the drivers on disk2 and insert them from there after editing config, if you use the 2-floppy version of BL3.50.

Someone else had all sorts of problems in one particular laptop with all the wireless pcmcia cards tested. (Compaq Armada M700).
Maybe your computer is too old to do wireless?

What do you do after you:
boot
insert card
/etc/pcmcia/start

I would then:
ifconfig up
udhcpc (if this works you have succeeded)

or:
ifconfig eth0 192.168.2.5 (if router is in this series).
and ping the router to see if things work.

You could try to boot a DamnSmallLinux live CD from DOS using loadlin after copying the kernel (vmlinuz or whatever they call it, look in /boot or search for it) to your baslin directory, and see if DSL can handle your card. If it does not have your definition in /etc/pcmcia/config you can add it. DSL will run better for you in 32MB without the gui
boot: dsl 2 (for runlevel 2, no gui)

Reboot to DOS and

cd /baslin
loadlin vmlinuz root=/dev/hdc1 ro