baslinux - Re: [BL] Basiclinux 3.5 and wireless (ma401).

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Basiclinux 3.5 and wireless (ma401).
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 19:32:19 +0000

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 2:50 PM, <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org> wrote:

> Try bzimagla.431, a 590K 2.4.31 kernel for laptop - look in configla.431
> to see what it supports and I can recompile it smaller if you don't need
> all the features. I omitted sound support but can compile for Yamaha
> only (built-in or modular, the latter using less RAM when not in use).
> No scsi support either. USB via module.
>
> The lm kernel has modular scsi support (in case you have a pcmcia scsi
> card).
>
> The lc kernel is 556K and supports only ohci and not other USB (as
> modules) and did not work for someone with USB. Since you have no USB,
> try it first if you have time. If it works for you I can try to make it
> even smaller (omit floppy support, omit the support for modules for USB
> and parallel and serial and ramdisk, for some newer IDE controllers
> PIIx, for DMA if you don't have that at all, for scsi as modules, for
> the parport zip drives as modules, for ppp = modem). I included
> wireless networking support in la (and probably lc). I can omit serial
> mouse support, nfs support, sunrpc, lockd, nls (?). I should be able to
> get this kernel under 500K for your Libretto.
>
> The ISA support may be needed for pcmcia.
>
> modules-la-nonpcmcia-431.tgz - a smaller package of modules omitting
> things not relevant to the laptop kernel such as sound and scsi. Only
> copy over what you actually use to /lib/modules/2.4.31/misc .
>
> modules-pcmcia-431.tgz - pick out what you need and put in
> /lib/modules/2.4.31/pcmcia
>
> Sindi

Ok thanks for that, I tried the 2.4 kernel there and the modules.
However apon loading BL3 still seems to be looking for modules in the
old directory for the old kernel (2.2.26) even though it is running
with the new!

It would be good to have sound & external serial port support as the
toshiba's "mouse" mounted on the right hand side of the screen can be
a pain to use after a while, a normal serial mouse is much easier. The
toshiba's mouse buttons are on the top of the laptop!

BTW Let me clear one thing up, the laptop that runs SW12 that I own
isn't the toshiba, its a completely different system, an IBM T22
(700Mhz, 128MB ram). That's the one I tested the netgear pcmcia card
out on and it worked with ndiswrapper on it.

BTW where do I get the 2.4 versions of ds.o, i82365.o and
pcmcia_core.o . I couldn't find them in the modules-pcmcia-431.tgz
file. I also looked in modules-pcmcia-wireless-431.tgz but couldn't
find them.

ljones