baslinux - Re: [BL] loadlin problems with kernel 2.4

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] loadlin problems with kernel 2.4
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 17:04:00 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

I reported that loadlin would not work with kernel 2.4 on one computer
(though it worked with 2.2, and lilo and syslinx worked with 2.4).

We have another computer which won't load kernel 2.4 with loadlin, this
time error message is

uncompressing linux
ran out of input data
system halted

One option is to use USB storage only in DOS, where it does work, and skip
kernel 2.4. Another is to switch computers. Or try lilo boot again.

A lilo boot floppy booted to BL2 with 2.4.31 kernel.

It also fixed zgv (svgalib), which in BL3 with 2.2.26 kernel was displaying modern art. zgv normally works under all circumstances, even though Xvesa may require bypassing system files.

Xvesa had already been working properly (in BL3 with 2.2.26 kernel).

I then discovered BL2 will boot properly with kernel 2.4, and zgv will work properly, if I boot DOS holding down F5 (or I could make a menu in config.sys not to load himem.sys or whatever is causing problems).

So using loadlin and something in autoexec.bat or config.sys was not bothering Xvesa, but was disabling svgalib and 2.4 kernel.

The computer is an 800MHz IBM, with ATI video card (PCI, 8MB RAM - Rage 128?). I had to edit libvga.config (add a modeline for 640) to get svgalib to work properly with this card even when I used lilo. There is disabled onboard i810 video - perhaps this is causing the boot problem.

To view photos without zgv we used BL3.40 xli and discovered it is not set to zoom by default and we could only see part of a large photo. No scrollbars in the rxvt. Icewm. Will check BL3.50 xli.