baslinux - Re: [BL] Re : Colours, or lack thereof (cont-d) & Misc.

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re : Colours, or lack thereof (cont-d) & Misc.
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 22:39:53 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

What is an iso font?

Actually, I was mistaken. The 9x15 font in BL3
is an iso font (iso646.1991-irv). It's just not
the usual iso font (iso8859-1).

You chose a default font that never had extended ascii characters?

I don't know whether it has extended ascii or not.
I choose it because it was small and looked nice.

It does not display extended ascii. I can't figure out from looking at it with less what is in there. Is there an X command similar to showfont?

What is the icewm default?

icewm uses several fonts. That's one reason
why BL3 comes with more than one font.

If I replace the fonts in BL2 with the ones in BL3 (the entire /fonts directory and subdirectories) would icewm in BL2 still work?

My preference would be to provide only two
BL3 X fonts, both including extended ascii.

Two fonts is not enough.

BL3 offers a choice of two resolutions unless
you edit Xconfig, so why provide five fonts?

Because (in addition to 2 or 3 resolutions) there
are several possible screen sizes -- from a 9-inch
laptop screen to a 21-inch monitor. Moreover, two
of the fonts in BL3 are proportional (the others
are fixed). Plus there is one scaleable font.

Where would we use a proportional font? Would links or e3pi work with one in X?

I've tried to provide a reasonably comprehensive
set of fonts in the minimum space.

How difficult would it be to automatically change
the default rxvt font in Xsetup to a larger one
when you choose 800x600 instead of 640x480?

As I said above, resolution is not the only variable
in font selection. Screen size is just as important.

Is it worth asking about screen size as well as resolution in Xsetup and automatically assigning the proper font, or would that make Xsetup too large?