baslinux - [BL] Re : Colours, or lack thereof (cont-d) & Misc.

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Re : Colours, or lack thereof (cont-d) & Misc.
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 17:13:11 +0200 (CEST)

Hi, this is Czerno.

Sindi writes :
> I changed my console keyboard using loadkeys.

Was it straightforward ? Haven't looked that way yet.

> The console font already provides upper ascii characters.

Right. Yet again, I prefer to reserve the console for
"administrative" tasks, and focus on usability at the JWM destop.

I've found a work around for the lack of hi-ascii there, Lynx has an
option for displaying 7-bit approximations (like : "`a" for accented
a)
Not pretty, not even always usable but better than replacing
characters with a blank!
While Links in BL3 seems to do 7-bit approximation by default (I
don't recall changing its options, yet it shows "a" for accented a,
i.e. it approximates using one low ASCII graphics where Lynx uses
2-char approximations)

This is all for "western" characters (ISO-8859-1). I'm curious, what
happens to cyrillics in the default BL3 settings ? Can they get
'approximated' too ?

> Or cut and paste between two vts using gpm. Or 'screen'.

Learning curve again. Those things are not part of BL3 by default are
they ?

> Don't use webmail.

I beg to disagree, not willing to download a lot of mail from the
list(s). Besides, I'm not in shortage of mail accounts of all feather
;=)

The choice of a Yahoo! mail account for this activity, which requires
HTTPS, hence using Lynx, may have been unlucky in retrospect. Yet I
have found a new trick to facilitate forms filling in Lynx, viz I set
up "e3pi" as an external editor in lynx options. While not perfect,
e3pi does allow more editing freedom than native lynx.

> Only differences I know are between my 84-key and the standard
101-key.
84 keys was the first PC standard kb, back in 1981 ! There were other
types coming with early PC-AT, before the 101 key(or 102,
international) all but replaced everything else .

Anyway, even keyboards which look similar might differ widely in what
hardware "scan codes" they spawn in response to keypress/release
events.

> http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/xfonts-bl3-full.tgz -- 23K
(Sorry it took so long, freeshell stopped working in mid-upload).

Wow, nice surprise! Does it install using pkg, or manual unpacking &
replacing individual files to their directories ?

Cheers

--
Czerno