baslinux - Re: [BL] Re : Colours, or lack thereof (cont-d) & Misc.

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re : Colours, or lack thereof (cont-d) & Misc.
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 08:48:21 +1200

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

> What is an iso font?

Actually, I was mistaken. The 9x15 font in BL3
is an iso font (iso646.1991-irv). It's just not
the usual iso font (iso8859-1).

> You chose a default font that never had extended ascii characters?

I don't know whether it has extended ascii or not.
I choose it because it was small and looked nice.

> Then stripped four others that can be used optionally?

Yes, I stripped the four others.

> What is the icewm default?

icewm uses several fonts. That's one reason
why BL3 comes with more than one font.

> My preference would be to provide only two
> BL3 X fonts, both including extended ascii.

Two fonts is not enough.

> BL3 offers a choice of two resolutions unless
> you edit Xconfig, so why provide five fonts?

Because (in addition to 2 or 3 resolutions) there
are several possible screen sizes -- from a 9-inch
laptop screen to a 21-inch monitor. Moreover, two
of the fonts in BL3 are proportional (the others
are fixed). Plus there is one scaleable font.

I've tried to provide a reasonably comprehensive
set of fonts in the minimum space.

> How difficult would it be to automatically change
> the default rxvt font in Xsetup to a larger one
> when you choose 800x600 instead of 640x480?

As I said above, resolution is not the only variable
in font selection. Screen size is just as important.