baslinux - Re: [BL] Re : Colours, or lack thereof (cont-d) & Misc.

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re : Colours, or lack thereof (cont-d) & Misc.
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 03:35:14 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Hi, List ! this is Czerno.

It's been asked why I would rather run Lynx in a terminal window.
I think the answer is rather evident : first, I have managed to have
the national keyboard decoded in X but didn't bother to do so in the
Linux console. More importantly, a windowed environment is the way to
go for productivity, with several windows side by side & especially
cut&pasting between windows...

I changed my console keyboard using loadkeys.
The console font already provides upper ascii characters.

You can run splitvt (41K in glibc version) and cut and paste between the top and bottom of the screen without a mouse (vi-like keystrokes).
It requires libtermcap (11K) and libnsl (343K).

Or cut and paste between two vts using gpm. Or 'screen'.

*STOP the press!* Was typing the above in all confidence in the JWM
desktop, but the next moment I discovered that I couldn't select text
from another window running rxvt/links! The mouse didn't work for
selecting text in the latter. What the f*** ? Isn't it a function of
the GUI/window manager to let the user cut and paste between
application windows ? Arrrrgh! Now reluctantly back to MS-Windows :(

Explanations, please !

Written by Sindi :
I saw a lot of blank lines after the above.

Indeed... Still not found how to effectively delete a line in lynx'
built-in forms editor. Ctrl_U erases, i.e. blanks out, line contents
but does not pop up any following lines. Ideas ?

Don't use webmail. Your rootshell.be offers 'An e-mail address login at rootshell.be readable online' (with mutt or pine?).

Also try without lynx.lss - it will give you different (default)
colors.
(Rename lynx.lss to lynx.lss.bak).

Thank you for the tip.

Without lynx.lss in BL2 console mode, it is green on black.

How many different French keyboards are there?
The 101-key ones here all seem to be nearly identical except on
laptops.

The fact is, keyboard internals & PC-keyboard controllers vary
widely. MS-Windows & full fledged, modern, (bloated?) Linux distros
manage to cope with most automagically, whereas we poor BasicLinuxers
shall have to do the hard work by hand, so to say...

Was your question about French keyboard *layouts* though? There are
basically the conventional 102-keys one and the "Windows" 105-keys,
plus all kinds of fancy "net ready" keyboards. And of course one must
add the Belgian, Canadian, Swiss, and other "French language
keyboards" which have each their own key disposition. Think of the
differences between US/UK/Canadian/Indian? English language
keyboards...

Only differences I know are between my 84-key and the standard 101-key. We don't see UK or Indian ones here.

I saw a lot of blank lines after the above.

Yep! I still can't find a way to persuade lynx' built-in forms editor
to remove a line and pop-up the rest, rather than just erasing
(Ctrl_U).
Ideas ?

Don't use webmail.

Sindi

Cheers !
I hope you (and others including Steven of course) will be able to
provide that compilation of completed fonts for BL3 soon...

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/xfonts-bl3-full.tgz -- 23K
(Sorry it took so long, freeshell stopped working in mid-upload).

Changed the name of the 75dpi lutBS24.pcf.gz to lutB24.pcf.gz

How is it specified which of the five BL3 misc (75dpi) fonts is used where?

The fonts could probably be made even smaller by removing the Copyright info but that might not be legal.

Czerno