baslinux - [BL] Re : Colours, or lack thereof (cont-d) & Misc.

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Re : Colours, or lack thereof (cont-d) & Misc.
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 16:34:26 +0200 (CEST)

Hi, this is Czerno.

"HHMM" wrote :
> If I recall right:
> the default BasicLinux X server is
> Xvesa which works ok with all VESA 2.0 cards
>
> Czerno has an old S3(pci?) vga card that is not
> compatible to the VESA 2.0 Standard.

Not PCI ! PCI didn't exist in 94 (the vintage of this 'puter) LOL
Must be VESA 1.0

> So his best option is to install the S3 Xserver that
> comes with Slackware 4.0 or the SVGA Xserver.
> Also this old vga card probably has only 1MB of memory
> so it is limited to low resolutions.

Correct, 1 Meg memory - can do 1024x768 (or slightly more indeed) in
256 colours, 800x600 in 65k colours. This is more than enough for my
needs and the 17" CRT.
256 colours (not 16 as I erroneously wrote previously)is what I use
in Windows - "hi-colour" modes are defective on this old adapter.

I might follow your advice & install another Xserver in BL3 later.
For the while I'll make do with the XVESA in 4-bit coulour modes.

T.Y. ...

--
Czerno