baslinux - Re: [BL] Re : Colours, or lack thereof (cont-d) & Misc.

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re : Colours, or lack thereof (cont-d) & Misc.
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 18:30:09 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Hi, this is Czerno.

Sindi writes :
I changed my console keyboard using loadkeys.

Was it straightforward ? Haven't looked that way yet.

I changed only two keys. I put at the end of rc.M in BL2 (it would be rc in BL3):
/usr/bin/loadkeys << EOF
shift keycode 73 = Scroll_Backward
shift keycode 81 = Scroll_Forward
EOF

There is probably a way to do it without EOF.

Loadkeys (like setfont and showfont and consolefonts and keymaps) is in kbd.tgz. Christo also included it in his mutt package for BL2, which may no longer be posted at BL2 but I think is at my site. He set it up for Czech and Russian typing.

Loadkeys is 64K, no special dependencies. Replacing the BL3 xfonts would take much less space than adding loadkeys, particularly if you only replace the default one cl.

I presume you use keymaps with the proper keymap if you want to change more than a few keys. I don't see an obviously French keymap in kbd.tgz. la-latin1 is So. Amer. Spanish.

My changes are so the PgUp and PgDn keys of my 84-key keyboard would act like the PageUp and PageDown of newer keyboards and let me shift-PgUp to scroll up (what you can do in X with a mouse and scrollbar to see the previous pages of a file that whizzed by on the screen).

The console font already provides upper ascii characters.

Right. Yet again, I prefer to reserve the console for
"administrative" tasks, and focus on usability at the JWM destop.

I've found a work around for the lack of hi-ascii there, Lynx has an
option for displaying 7-bit approximations (like : "`a" for accented
a)
Not pretty, not even always usable but better than replacing
characters with a blank!

I use it for Cyrillic sometimes.

While Links in BL3 seems to do 7-bit approximation by default (I
don't recall changing its options, yet it shows "a" for accented a,
i.e. it approximates using one low ASCII graphics where Lynx uses
2-char approximations)

The first (default) charset listed for lynx is 8859-1 (8-bit), but for links it is 7-bit ASCII, followed by 8859-1.

This is all for "western" characters (ISO-8859-1). I'm curious, what
happens to cyrillics in the default BL3 settings ? Can they get
'approximated' too ?

Yes. I just checked links:
'korotkij adrress dannogo sajta): RusWin.net'

Or cut and paste between two vts using gpm. Or 'screen'.

Learning curve again. Those things are not part of BL3 by default are
they ?

No. gpm is in Slackware, so is splitvt (which comes with inadequate documentation - use the vi commands to move around)

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/screen-BL3.tgz
(I posted a copy whose origin I forget).

Don't use webmail.

I beg to disagree, not willing to download a lot of mail from the
list(s). Besides, I'm not in shortage of mail accounts of all feather
;=)

You do not download mail at a shell account, you read it with mutt or pine online. Then delete it. It is much faster and more efficient than webmail. Text-only. Check it out at rootshell, but they have only a 5MB mailbox. freeshell gives 100MB if you pay $36 one-time donation. About 30MB for $1.

The choice of a Yahoo! mail account for this activity, which requires
HTTPS, hence using Lynx, may have been unlucky in retrospect. Yet I
have found a new trick to facilitate forms filling in Lynx, viz I set
up "e3pi" as an external editor in lynx options. While not perfect,
e3pi does allow more editing freedom than native lynx.

Lynx is very ugly for filling in forms. You cannot see all of what you entered.

Only differences I know are between my 84-key and the standard
101-key.
84 keys was the first PC standard kb, back in 1981 ! There were other
types coming with early PC-AT, before the 101 key(or 102,
international) all but replaced everything else .

I still use WP for DOS, with the F keys, and they are much easier to find at the left side of the keyboard than the far top without moving my hand.

Anyway, even keyboards which look similar might differ widely in what
hardware "scan codes" they spawn in response to keypress/release
events.

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/xfonts-bl3-full.tgz -- 23K
(Sorry it took so long, freeshell stopped working in mid-upload).

Wow, nice surprise! Does it install using pkg, or manual unpacking &
replacing individual files to their directories ?

Copy the file to misc and tar -zxvf, and it should replace the original files with the full-size ones.

You could try just replacing the cl font, which is the rxvt default. I don't know what the other four are used for. I asked Steven.
Sindi

Cheers

--
Czerno