baslinux - Re: [BL] floppy version

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] floppy version
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 04:01:33 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 6 Jun 2007 baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

Why does it take so long for jwm to load?
About 10-15 sec at 600MHz.

Are you sure jwm is the issue? I've found that
on some hardware Xvesa takes 10-15 seconds to
load while on other (slower) hardware it loads
immediately. Xvesa seems to have some trouble
getting hooked into the right VESA mode and/or
choosing the right mouse driver. It could also
be that a loadlin boot has left some DOS garbage
that Xvesa has to work around.

10-15 seconds on a Matrox Millenium (PS/2 3-button trackball, instant on an Nvidia Riva (serial mouse) both PCI cards. Loadlin in both cases.
Probably both himem.sys and emm386 and no DOS mouse driver.

I will try serial mouse with the Matrox.