baslinux - Re: [BL] X libraries cannot find libX11 in BL3.50

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] X libraries cannot find libX11 in BL3.50
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 05:40:40 +1200

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

> is there an X-library bug in 3.50?

The only change to the X libraries in BL 3.50
was that the old libXpm was deleted. So your
"bug" is not new. The issue arises when the
base library (libc5) is changed (to glibc2).
To avoid library problems, the X library should
also be changed to the new version (glibc2),
but that then causes problems for the existing
executables dependent on the old X libraries.

Ideally, you should have one consistent base
library with all executables and libraries
compiled for that base. That's what BL3
normally is. The default BL3 installation
and all the add-ons are consistent. However,
for people who want to run glibc2 executables
(like Opera), there are instructions for
installing the glibc2 base libraries.

Perhaps I should remove the instructions for
installing glibc2 on BL3. Users who really
want glibc2 could use BL2 (which has a glibc2
base library) or some other distribution.

Is anyone currently running glibc2 applications
on BL3?