baslinux - Re: [BL] Compare Imagick and netpbm

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Compare Imagick and netpbm
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 17:06:34

from: Christof Lange
====================

Hi Mickel,

after some studying and experimenting I came to the conclusion that
in DOS it would be the best way to convert text to pictures by
using neither netpbm nor imagemagick, but to do it simply
through Ghostscript.

Probably it would be worth to mention in the postscript on your
website that there is a Linux utility that is able to convert ttf
fonts to type 1 fonts. It took me some time to find the relevant
font archives on the web (for Latin2 encoding), but now I have
quite a number of converted ttf files in my Ghostscript directory
which make it possible to import text even in designer font
into graphic files. Netpbm does all the rest. This might be useful
for low-resorces Linux, too.

On 16 Mar 07 at 12:26, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

>> Now I had time to read your instructions on the web page. This is
>> fantastic. I will probably never begin to use Linux if it is that
>> simple! My old DOS word processor produces output .ps. The printer
>> in our office is PS capable, too. So it would be enough to write a
>> few scripts to modify the output that is sent to the printer.
>
>Sounds really good... How is the connection between scripts and DOS.
>When I think of scripts I think of bash shell scripts do you have
>bash
>in DOS or how? Don't you have too print to a file first? I never was
>able to buffer the print output from WP51 in DOS.

I write batch files for the DOS command shell - aided by a hand
full of Linux utilities (DOS ports), including sed and awk.

If you run your word processor in a task switcher
it is not too embarassing to print into an intermediate file.

My favourite word processor (MS Word for DOS ;-) provides tools
to edit the printer drivers. With this it would be possible to
manipulate prologues or other parts of .ps files.

>/Mikkel

Ceskobratrska cirkev evangelicka - Betlemska kaple na Zizkove
Prokopova 4/216, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
Tel. (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02 / 603 18 87 53
http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov