baslinux - Re: [BL] Compare Imagick and netpbm

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: Christof Lange <cce.zizkov AT volny.cz>, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Compare Imagick and netpbm
  • Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 18:24:00 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007, Christof Lange wrote:

On 8 Mar 07 at 18:19, keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org wrote:

Image Magick - a package for display and interactive manipulation of
images for the X Window System. It can draw text, lines, etc., convert
formats, resize, rotate, crop, blur, add text, etc. 1.5MB package contains
several programs.

Netpbm does the same types of image manipulation CLI. It can also print to
epson or deskjet/laserjet style printers directly without gs (by converting
to the printer's native format). It can add text.

Sindi, Mikkel,

I have just tested the DOS version of netpbm and I am really
impressed. It seems to have about the same abilities as Imagick,
but is a lot smaller and faster. And it adds the direct output on the
printer without gs. One thing, however I could not get to work
properly: inserting text into a graphic file. Imagick (the DOS
version) makes use of GS fonts, whereas netpbm requires BDF fonts.
I found a few BDF fonts in my Slackware installation and on the web,
but they are either non-proportional or very low quality. Do you know
any place where (internationalized) BDF fonts with high resolution
can be downloaded? Or is there a way to convert fonts with better
quality to BDF format?

Christof

ppmlabel - Add text to an image ppmdraw - Draw text, lines, shapes, etc. on an image (from a file or the screen).

I forwarded your question to someone who has compiled DOS netpbm and also to the maintainer of netpbm. I also sent him the link to Mikkel's po-netpbm page.