baslinux - Re: [BL] Compare Imagick and netpbm

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Compare Imagick and netpbm
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 10:23:13

On 23 Mar 07 at 9:25, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

>http://www.webpagepublicity.com/free-fonts.html
>
>6500 fonts with small images of how each font looks with that resource
>I think it is maybe not necessary that I make small images but maybe
>just explain the way to go with one of the font from

The problem I head with this samples is that from the English text
it was not clear what kind of font it is. Only one font I
downloaded from that archive turned out to support unicode, ie. I
could convert it for Eastern Europe letters. You will probably find
that most of them support Western Europe (incl. Danish) 8bit
characters.

>> There are some instructions coming with the converter.
>> I did not, however, install these fonts to ghostscript.
>> I just put them into the GS font directory, because I need
>> them only to produce graphic files:
>

>Could you explain my that. If you just want to use the fonts for
>produce graphic files you just have to leave them in the right dir and
>call the name from your postscript program or what?

This is something I actually do not know, because I am working in
DOS. As I am not able to compile the program myself I have to take it
as it is with its particular behaviour according directories and
configuration. My DOS script does not mess with the
configuration, but puts the selected TTF font just in place of Courier
and prints the text. I probably would not be able to do justifying
and other formatting operations with the designer TTF fonts. I
certainly will not need to do that.

>> Great numbers of TTF fonts are available on the web. I just had
>> a little problem to find East European ones which would work with
>> Czech letters.
>
>Do you know if thy work with danish letters E Ő O?

When you convert the fonts with ttf2t1 you can use the option
for latin 1 encoding (read the included documentation). This
should work with the vast majority of the fonts you find in the
archives.

Christof

The Revd. Christof Lange - Evangelical Church of Czech Brethren
Prokopova 4/216, 130 00 Prague 3, Czech Republic
Tel. (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02 / 603 18 87 53
http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov