baslinux - [BL] Compare Imagick and netpbm

  • From: Christof Lange <cce.zizkov AT volny.cz>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Compare Imagick and netpbm
  • Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 11:15:14

On 8 Mar 07 at 18:19, keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org wrote:

>Image Magick - a package for display and interactive manipulation of
>images for the X Window System. It can draw text, lines, etc., convert
>formats, resize, rotate, crop, blur, add text, etc. 1.5MB package contains
>several programs.
>
>Netpbm does the same types of image manipulation CLI. It can also print to
>epson or deskjet/laserjet style printers directly without gs (by converting
>to the printer's native format). It can add text.

Sindi, Mikkel,

I have just tested the DOS version of netpbm and I am really
impressed. It seems to have about the same abilities as Imagick,
but is a lot smaller and faster. And it adds the direct output on the
printer without gs. One thing, however I could not get to work
properly: inserting text into a graphic file. Imagick (the DOS
version) makes use of GS fonts, whereas netpbm requires BDF fonts.
I found a few BDF fonts in my Slackware installation and on the web,
but they are either non-proportional or very low quality. Do you know
any place where (internationalized) BDF fonts with high resolution
can be downloaded? Or is there a way to convert fonts with better
quality to BDF format?

Christof

Ceskobratrska cirkev evangelicka - Betlemska kaple na Zizkove
Prokopova 4/216, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
Tel. (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02 / 603 18 87 53
http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov