baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 as 'user' D

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 as 'user' D
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 13:20:36 -0800

sindi keesan wrote:

>> Xvesa
>
> Set it so that user 0/root owns it, then set the suid bit and allow it
> to be executed by user. It writes directly to the hardware.

-rwxr-xr-x

Should I change this? It works now.

No. I was wrong - apparently it writes to /dev/mem so it doesn't need
uid=0 unless /dev/mem is set wrong.

rxvt: Failed to open input method, can't open pseudo-tty

I forgot about that. Look at the permissions for /dev/ptyq* and
/dev/ttyq*. They need to allow write and read access for user. chmod
666

>> Other programs:
>> zgv (to view photos)
>
> Requires suid (root permissions), as all svgalib programs do. Also
> needs to read the photos.

Working. -r-s--x--x -Should I change this?

No, it is properly set.

>> To print:
>> gs (and some way to shrink gs to a minimum with just Times New Roman and
>> no Chinese fonts - this will be a big project. Start with just gs and see
>> what it complains about?).
>
> Ditto.

It complains of
svgalib: Cannot get I/O permissions.

chown root gs
chmod 4777 gs

> You could send the data directly to the printer (as wp and the netpbm
> scripts do now). That would eliminate the need for a user account due
> to lpr's permission problem. An lpr script could accept a postscript
> file on stdin and use ghostscript to filter it, then send it to the
> printer.

I can print ps files directly with gs after saving to a file in Abiword
and Opera, in a script based on gs. But the same script (printdj) will
not work to print from them within Opera or Abiword. Can you check this
out? It is a pain to use 'user' instead of 'root'.

Without seeing your script, I have no idea what could be the problem.
Here is an example script:

#!/bin/sh
gs -q -dSAFER -sDEVICE=deskjet -r300x300 \
-sPAPERSIZE=letter -sOutputFile=- - >/dev/lp0

(I'm not sure if /dev/lp0 could be set as sOutputFile instead, but the
above, when modified for my printer, works)

David