baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 as 'user' D

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 as 'user' D
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 05:06:41 +0000 (UTC)

rxvt: Failed to open input method, can't open pseudo-tty

I forgot about that. Look at the permissions for /dev/ptyq* and
/dev/ttyq*. They need to allow write and read access for user. chmod
666

I presume you meant /dev/ptyp* (r--) and /dev/ttyp* (r-x) for group and user. Should they NOT be executable?

chmod 666 ptyp* and ttyp* gets me an rxvt (both BL3 and BL2) and they are now all rw- and not executable.

I am never going to remember all this and should have been taking better notes.

To print:
gs

It complains of
svgalib: Cannot get I/O permissions.

chown root gs
chmod 4777 gs

The SW7.1 gs 5.10 has the I/O permissions problem as user.
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root bin

chmod 4777 made it -rwsrwxrwx and now it works for user.

The one I compiled (8.50) works for user (in X).
-rwsrwxrwx
(I may have chmod 4777 already?)

You could send the data directly to the printer (as wp and the netpbm
scripts do now). That would eliminate the need for a user account due
to lpr's permission problem. An lpr script could accept a postscript
file on stdin and use ghostscript to filter it, then send it to the
printer.

I can print ps files directly with gs after saving to a file in Abiword
and Opera, in a script based on gs. But the same script (printdj) will
not work to print from them within Opera or Abiword. Can you check this
out? It is a pain to use 'user' instead of 'root'.

Without seeing your script, I have no idea what could be the problem.
Here is an example script:

#!/bin/sh
gs -q -dSAFER -sDEVICE=deskjet -r300x300 \
-sPAPERSIZE=letter -sOutputFile=- - >/dev/lp0

I used the same but .....-sOutputFile=- - < $1 > /dev/lp0.
My script works to print as root from CLI (outside of Opera).
printdj filename.ps

(I'm not sure if /dev/lp0 could be set as sOutputFile instead, but the
above, when modified for my printer, works)

Your line works as 'user' but not as 'root'. lpq - no entries
Same as if I were using lpr as root. Did it work for you as 'root' in Opera?

lpr is -r-s--s--x 1 root lp
It works for user not root.

chmod -s lpr: -r-x--x--x
This does not make it work as root and it stops if from working as 'user': "Cannot create /var/spool/lpd/postscript/.seq"
There is a .seq there from 3 minutes ago with permissions:
-rw-r----x

lprm removes the active job (owner user) and .seq and a cf file.

/dev/lp0: crw-r--r-- (obviously user can print to it, suid?)

lpd: -rwxr--r-- (works only for root)

A BSD printing discussion suggested:
chmod 700 /usr/sbin/lpd
chmod 755 /usr/bin/lp* (lpq, lprm, lpr)
chmod 4755 /usr/bin/lpr
chmod 660 /dev/lp0

Do you want to test this?

I am afraid to completely mess up something that is now usable for 'root' without lpr/lpd and for 'user' with them.

700 - user rwx
50 - group rx
5 - other rwx

660 rw for everyone except 'other' (root?) - for device files

777 rwx for everyone - for executables

666 rw for everyone
444 r for everyone

David