baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 as 'user' D

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 as 'user' D
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 18:39:21 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Both AbiWord and Opera work fine as root.

They don't print web pages or formatted text as root.

That's a lpd problem, not a AbiWord/Opera problem.
I don't recommend running lpd on BL3 (although, of
course, you are very welcome to try). I run lpd on
BL2, which is a better all-purpose platform.

I do too, but am trying to keep this small and simple.
lpd does not work as root in BL2 - would it maybe work in BL3?

Remember BL3 was a downgrade from BL2. BL3 required
at least a 486DX with 8mb RAM. BL3 runs on a 386 or
486SX with 3mb RAM. For Pentium desktops, BL2 is the
better option.

I don't see that it would be any easier to set up than BL3 with upgraded glibc, unless someone really wanted xpdf. (I can try to write a script to convert pdf to pbm and view one page at a time with zgv). Our friends are not going to be adding programs.

This is what people want to do on the computers we give
them, therefore we are forced to put on Windows just to
print with.

No, you aren't forced to install Windows. You've got
plenty of other options (DSL, VectorLinux, etc.).

I don't want to learn another linux just to put on other people's computers. I am trying to share what I already know. BL supports our hardware. (Ubuntu on live CD could not even find our ISA modem or sound card).

We are setting up early Pentiums for people who cannot
afford new computers.

Then you probably need something that is idiot-proof.
Obviously BL3 is not a good platform for that.

It has worked so far, just not for printing formatted text.
Even worked with a lucent modem for one friend whose Win98 would no longer work with that modem. Easier than trying to fix Windows.

It boots much faster than any other linux I have looked at and people really like it for internet use.

newbies might give up after installing passwd.tgz

passwd.tgz is not for newbies. I am definitely not
recommending it for newbies.