baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 as 'user' D

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 as 'user' D
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 18:33:17 +0000 (UTC)

This will remove that executable permission:

----
chmod -x /dev/ttyS1 OR
chmod 666 /dev/ttyS1

I will do this to ttyS0 and 1, and eznet.conf.

Should I just do 'chmod +s' on anything executable (pppd, eznet, rxvt,
Xvesa, Opera, Abiword, gs...) and 'chmod 666' on the com ports and
eznet.conf and printcap?

It would work, but it will run these programs with essentially root
privileges meaning that it wouldn't be very sensible in multi-user setup
(in security sense). I don't think that BL was designed for security
(it runs as root as default) so it wouldn't be a big issue.

Should I instead chmod +x, or u+x? (I don't think that worked).

I need the following to be 'user'-usable:

To dial:

eznet
pppd

To use X:
Xvesa
rxvt

To use X programs:
Abiword
Opera
xli

Other programs:
zgv (to view photos)
pdftopbm

To print:
gs (and some way to shrink gs to a minimum with just Times New Roman and no Chinese fonts - this will be a big project. Start with just gs and see what it complains about?).

lpr already works for 'user' but not 'root'

I could insmod lp and slhc and ppp in rc.d, I think.

The user would be instructed to type user and then Enter instead of pressing Enter. In rc.d?

In the meantime friends are willing to use 'wp' to print plain text and Win98 to print other things. They could import a WORD file and export text and print that. The four people we tried BL3 on really like the fast boot of the O/S and Opera, and no viruses.

Sindi

Karolis