baslinux - Re: [BL] htmldoc 16

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT ausreg.com>
  • To: lforrestster AT gmail.com, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] htmldoc 16
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 10:10:47 +1100

Hi Folks,

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 21:10:34 +0000
Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 02:18:11PM +1100, Ron Clarke wrote:
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > Well, I tried to build htmldoc on my BL3 installation.
> >
> > It configured OK - at least no error messages - but "make" ended
> > with an error.
> > Looks like it didn't find something it was looking for, but the screen
> > scribblings meant nothing to me.
> >
> > Perhaps this one is not for BL3 - there is mention in the docs that
> > it needs at least linux 2.4 ... ?
>
> I was just wondering why all of your lines are always indented
> like that.

It is what I choose to do, nothing to do with the software creating it.

> doesn't make for a very readable post, especially
> after it's quoted for a reply.

Of course, I take a contrary view, otherwise I wouldn't do it. :)

>Is that sylpheed?

In this case, yes.

> I left it as it is, rather than running it through my
> text-formatting macro, as I usually do. But even then it still
> looks strange. Like a poster rather than a letter.

On the contrary, this is the way I write my letters. And the way I
produce my professional documents.
It is something I learned about when I was much younger - about 50 years ago
- be generous with white space, it makes it much easier on the eyes and
easier to read and understand. This is something of a necessity when one is
writing professional scientific reports, scientific communications of most
kinds, and also monographs to be read by a non-scientific audience when it is
rather important that it be read easily and understood, e.g. safety manuals,
chemical manufacturing procedures and the like, especially when there is a
reason to jump backwards and forwards through the text.

Personally, I find a solid block of text to be almost impenetrable and
most difficult to follow. Maybe my eyes are not as young as yours. So, by all
means use your text-formatting macro if it makes it easier for you to read.

> As for the "screen scribblings", I can indeed relate to that! If any of it
> stands out,
> post it. Someone might be able to make sense of it. Probably something like:
>
> undefined reference to...

Nope. :(

Just: *** error !

Regards,